Railway GK Quiz
1 Through which of the following group of states does the Konkan Railways run?
Maharashtra - Karnataka - Andhra Pradesh - Kerala
Maharashtra - Karnataka - Goa - Kerala
Maharashtra - Karnataka - Kerala - Tamil Nadu
Karnataka - Goa - Kerala - Tamil Nadu
2. Which of the following zonal headquarters - city combination is incorrect?
South East Central - Bilaspur
North Western - Jodhpur
East Central - Hajipur
West Central - Jabalpur
3. Which of the following zones administers the Matheran Hill Railway?
4. In which city is the Indian Railway Institute of Financial Management (IRIFM) being set up as announced in the Railway Budget 2013?
5. In which of the following cities is the National Rail Museum located?
6. The first Indian railway line was opened by the British :
From Delhi to Bombay
From Bombay to Thane
From Calcutta to Allahabad
From Bombay to Madras
7. Into how many zones is the Indian Railways organized?
8. Which state has the longest route kilometers of railway line in India?
9. Headquarters of which one among the following Railway Zones in India is situated at the highest elevation from the mean sea level?
East Central Railway
South Eastern Railway
South Western Railway
West Central Railway
Answer (c). Hubli is at an elevation of 2073 feet, Jabalpur at 1669 ft, Kolkata at 42 ft and Hajipur at 150 ft.
10. When was the first train steamed off in India?
11. Which of the following is the headquarters of the newly established railway zone ‘East Coast Railways’?
12. Which train in India has the longest route length?
Howrah - Jammu Tawi Himgiri Express
Kanyakumari - Jammu Tawi Himsagar Express
Kanyakumari - Dibrugarh Vivek Express
13. Where is the Railway Staff College located?
14. On which of the following is the longest railway bridge in India located?
15. In which of the following cities are located 3 zonal headquarters of Indian Railways?
16. Who of the following is known for having designed the first railway timetables?
George Bernard Shaw
17. Which of the following is the largest railway junction in India?
18. Which of the following is the eastern-most division of the Indian Railways?
19. Over which of the following rivers is the world's highest railway bridge in Kashmir being constructed?
20. Gorakhpur which has the longest railway platform in the world is located in which of the following states?
21. Which of the following stations has all the three guages viz. broad, metre and narrow?
22. What is the width of broad guage railway line in India?
5 feet 3 inches
5 feet 6 inches
4 feet 11 inches
5 feet 4 inches
23. Match the manufacturing units with their locations
A. Chittaranjan Locomotive Works 1. Tamilnadu
B. Integral Coach Factory 2. Punjab
C. Wheel and Axle Plant 3. West Bengal
D. Rail Coach Factory 4. Karnataka
Answer ( c )
A - 3; B - 4; C - 1; D - 2
A - 2; B - 1; C - 4; D - 3
A - 3; B - 1; C - 4; D - 2
A - 3; B - 1; C - 2; D - 4
24. Which of the following stations was formerly known as Victoria Terminus?
Churchgate Railway Station
Lokmanya Tilak Terminus
Chhatrapathi Shivaji Terminus
25. Fairy Queen, the world's oldest steam locomotive in regular operation, plies between New Delhi and -
26. Who of the following was the first Railway Minister of independent India?
Lal Bahadur Shastri
27. Shatabdi Express trains were introduced in 1989 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of which of the following personalities?
28. Who was the Governor General of India when Railways were first introduced in India?
Lord William Bentick
29. In which city is the Wheel and Axle Plant of the Indian Railways located?
30. What is the rank of India in the world in terms of length of railroad network?
31. Which of the following ran the first train from Bori Bunder to Thane in 1853?
Bombay Baroda Railway
The Scindia Railway
Central India Railway
Great Indian Peninsula Railway
32. The Maitree Express connects India with which of the following countries?
33. Which of the following is the largest zone in terms of route kilometers?
34. Which of the following is the largest marshalling yard in India (also the longest in Asia)?